Welcome to the Mission Parish High School Confirmation Prep!
Our aim is to help our high school youth engage in their Catholic faith. For most, we prepare them to receive the Sacrament of Confirmation. This preparation is a **two-year program. Once confirmed, a youth has the opportunity to join our *Core Team to support the next upcoming Candidates. Also, we welcome youth who have already received their Sacraments of Initiation (Baptism, Confirmation, & First Holy Communion) at an earlier age: After all, Faith Formation does not stop after Sacraments are received!
** Starting July 1, 2023 **
Level 8 Faith Formation is a prerequisite for Confirmation Prep - Level 1
Beginning July 1, 2023, Level 8 Faith Formation is a prerequisite for students seeking to enroll in Confirmation Preparation - Level 1. Level 8 Faith Formation can be taken here at the Mission San Diego or any other Catholic parish. The requirement is also fulfilled by students who have successfully completed grade 8 in a Catholic elementary school or an approved home school Faith Formation program.
The goal is to ensure that all high school students beginning Confirmation Preparation have a solid and common foundation in the faith when preparing for the sacrament of Confirmation. Experience tells us that students who have not been enrolled for at least one year in a Faith Formation process prior to starting Confirmation Prep - Level 1 have a difficult time “keeping up” with students who have been enrolled in Faith Formation programs and have completed Level 8 Faith Formation.
Confirmation Prep 2023-2024
When? Sundays 4:00 - 5:20 pm, September through May.
Where? La Sala, accessible from the Rose Garden; & the Fr Serra Room, located in the Religious Ed Building
*Core Team Members are enriched with valuable experience in discipleship. You help make the Catholic faith accessible and relatable to your peers. This is a way to live out the call of your own Confirmation! Plus, earn volunteer hours for school.
Interested in being a member of Core Team?
Contact us! (see below)
Director of Catechetical Ministry, Carol Gamara, at (619) 624-0900, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Administrative Assistant, Catechetical Ministry, Erin Dalton, at (619) 640-0481, or email@example.com.
What You Need to Register (New & Returning Candidates):
- Complete a Registration and our TWO Release Forms
- If registering two or more Candidates, please complete separate forms for EACH Candidate
2. We need a copy of each student's Baptism and First Communion Certificates (unless we already have a copy on file)
3. Sponsor Form must be submitted by the January of first year of Confirmation Prep. Please contact us when you need a Sponsor Form and/or more information regarding Sacramental Sponsorship.
- The Confirmation Candidate must choose a Sponsor for Confirmation. The Sponsor is intended to journey with Confirmation Candidate on his or her way to being Confirmed and beyond. There will be Sponsor Retreats the Sponsor and Candidate can participate in together.
4. Submit Forms via...
- Paper Forms and Certificate copies can be mailed or dropped off (see below). Whether dropped off or by mail, please place forms and copies in an envelope and write "Attn: Carol & Erin"
- Mailing Address -- Mission San Diego de Alcala, Attn: Carol Gamara, 10818 San Diego Mission Rd, San Diego, CA 92108
- Drop Off Locations (Write "Attn: Carol Gamara" on the envelope): Religious Ed Building with prior notice, as our office hours vary; the Parish Office mail slot anytime; or the Visitor Center and Gift Shop 7 days a week, 9:00 am to 4:00 pm
- Electronic Forms (scanned or take a clear picture) can be sent by email attachment to Carol Gamara at firstname.lastname@example.org
5. Registration Fees (does not include Weekend Retreat)
- $162 for one student / $130 for each subsequent student in the same household
- Fees help cover the cost of program materials and supplies
- Payments can be made by cash or check only. Make checks out to "Mission San Diego de Alcala" with "Youth Ministry" in the memo
- Payment plans and tuition assistance are available for tight budgets
NOTE: FOR REGISTRATIONS AFTER SEPTEMBER, MAKE-UP WORK will be required
When can a student begin Sacramental Preparation for Confirmation?
- As early as 9th Grade AND **Starting July 1, 2023** having completed Level 8 Faith Formation
How long is the Sacramental Preparation for Confirmation?
- Two Catechetical Years. For example, if your son or daughter begins Sacramental Prep for Confirmation in Sept 2023, they should be confirmed in May 2025.
My son or daughter has not received Baptism or First Communion...is this the right program?
- Yes! In the two-year Confirmation preparation, we will give the Catechumen (non-baptized person seeking Sacraments) supplemental Sacramental Prep for Baptism and First Holy Communion. At the conclusion of the two years, the Catechumen will receive all THREE Sacraments of Initiation, Baptism, First Communion, and Confirmation at the Easter Vigil.
- The same supplemental preparation occurs for the Candidate (baptized person seeking Sacraments) who would like to receive their First Holy Communion. At the conclusion of the two years, the Candidate will receive First Holy Communion and Confirmation at the Confirmation Mass along with their peers.
What is required for youth while in Sacramental prep?
- Weekly celebration of Sunday Mass. The Body of Christ suffers if you are not there. That is why our global Catholic Church obligates us to celebrate every week. Together, we bring God's Kingdom upon Earth!
- Regular attendance to Sunday classes, preferably no more than three absences; if your family needs to be away for a weekend, let us know. "Homework" may be given to cover what was missed.
- As required by our Diocese, Confirmation Candidates must participate in one Overnight Weekend retreat, each year of preparation.
- Twenty hours of service in the parish
Does each Confirmation Candidate need a Sponsor for Confirmation?
- Yes! Confirmation Candidates should choose their Sponsor no later than the Fall of the Candidate's Second Year of Preparation
- To help choose a Sponsor, please check our Sponsor Guidelines