It is a tradition in some cultures to celebrate the fifteenth (quince años) birthday of a teenage girl ("candidate") with a brief ritual and special blessing. The ritual and blessing is built on the theme of thanksgiving as well as a renewal of the girl's commitment to live the Christian faith in the community of the Catholic Church. With this in mind, the following guidelines apply to those wishing to celebrate the Quinceañera at the Mission Basilica San Diego de Alcalá.
- The family must be active and registered parishioners of Mission Basilica San Diego de Alcalá.
2. The candidate must:
- be a baptized Catholic who has already received First Eucharist;
- regularly participate in Sunday Mass; and
- be enrolled in our parish's Faith Formation program for youth; if applicable, be preparing for the Sacrament of Confirmation.
3. The Quinceañera blessing will be imparted at the Sunday Mass the candidate and her family usually attend.
4. To set the date, please contact our pastor, Fr. Peter McGuine, via email at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than three months before the desired date of the Quinceañera blessing.