Welcome to the Mission Parish High School Youth Ministry!
Our aim is to help our high school youth engage in their Catholic faith. For most, we prepare them to receive the Sacrament of Confirmation. This preparation is a two-year program. Once confirmed, a youth has the opportunity to join our **Core Team to support the upcoming Candidates. Also, we welcome youth who have already received their Sacraments of Initiation (Baptism, Confirmation, & First Holy Communion) at an earlier age: After all, Faith Formation does not stop after Sacraments are received!
When? Sundays 4pm-5:25pm, starting September 11, 2022 through May 2023
Where? La Sala, accessible from the Rose Garden
**Core Team Members are enriched with valuable experience in discipleship. You help make the Catholic faith accessible and relatable to your peers. This is a way to live out the call of your own Confirmation! Plus, earn volunteer hours for school.
Interested in being a member of Core Team?
Contact us! (see below)
What You Need to Register (New & Returning Candidates):
- Complete a Registration and our TWO Release Forms
- If registering two or more Candidates, please complete separate forms for EACH Candidate
2. If applicable, we need a copy of the youth's Baptism and First Communion Certificate
3. Submit Forms via...
- Paper Forms and Certificate copies can be mailed or dropped off (see address and drop off locations in 'Contact Us' below). Whether dropped off or by mail, please place forms and copies in an envelope and write "Attn: Carol & Amy"
- Electronic Forms (Scanned or take a clear Picture) can be emailed to both Carol and Amy at email@example.com AND firstname.lastname@example.org
4. Registration Fees (does not include Weekend Retreat)
Early Registration Fee (until July 31): $125 for one Candidate, $200 for two sibling Candidates
Registration Fee (August 1-31): $135 for one Candidate, $220 for two sibling Candidates
Late Registration Fee (September 1 and later): $150 for one Candidate, $250 for two sibling Candidates
- Fees help cover the cost of program materials and supplies
- Payments can be made by cash, check, or card. Card payments can be made over the phone. Make checks out to "Mission San Diego de Alcala" with "Youth Ministry" in the memo
- Payment plans and tuition assistance are available for tight budgets
NOTE: FOR REGISTRATIONS AFTER SEPTEMBER, MAKE-UP WORK will be required.
Director of Religious Education, Carol Gamara, at (619) 624-0900, or email@example.com
Religious Education Administrative Assistant, Amy Faley, at 619-283-1371, or firstname.lastname@example.org
Mailing Address -- Mission San Diego de Alcala, Attn: Carol & Amy, 10818 San Diego Mission Rd, San Diego, CA 92108
Drop Off Locations (Write "Attn: Carol & Amy" on the envelope): Religious Ed Building with prior notice, as our office hours vary; the Parish Office mail slot anytime; or the Parish Gift Shop 7 days a week, 9am to 4pm
When can a youth begin Sacramental Preparation for Confirmation?
- 9th Grade
How long is the Sacramental Preparation?
- Two Catechetical Years. For example, if your child begins Sacramental Prep for Confirmation in September 2022, they should receive Confirmation in May 2024.
My youth has not received Baptism or First Communion...is this the right program?
- Yes! In the two-year Confirmation preparation, we will give the Catechumen (non-baptized person seeking entry into the Church) supplemental Sacramental Prep for Baptism and First Holy Communion. At the conclusion of the two years, the Catechumen will receive all THREE Sacraments of Initiation, Baptism, First Communion, and Confirmation at the Easter Vigil.
- The same supplemental preparation occurs for the Candidate (baptized person seeking Sacraments) who would like to receive their First Holy Communion. At the conclusion of the two years, the Candidate will receive First Holy Communion and Confirmation at the Confirmation Mass along with their peers.
What is required for youth in Sacramental prep?
- Weekly celebration of Sunday Mass. The Body of Christ suffers if you are not there. That is why our global Catholic Church obligates us to celebrate every week. Together, we bring God's Kingdom upon Earth!
- Regular attendance to Sunday classes, preferably no more than three absences; if your family needs to be away for a weekend, let us know. "Homework" may be given to cover what was missed.
- As required by our Diocese, Youth must participate in one Overnight Weekend retreat, each year of preparation. Dates TBD.
- Twenty hours of service in the parish