This room is believed to be the room that was part of the original monastery that adjoined the church and where Father Serra would have stayed when he returned to the mission for periodic visits. This large room is one of the oldest sections of Mission San Diego and would have been two smaller rooms in mission days. The fireplace on the left wall would not have been here during Fr. Serra’s time but was possibly added by the U.S. military during the 1850’s. The furnishings are representative of the type of furniture that would have been used in the 1700’s.